Horseneck Point Life Saving Station

The Completed Restoration of the Humane Society Life Saving Station #69

Horseneck Point Life Saving Station

Horseneck Point Life Saving Station history

The Horseneck Point Life Saving Station dates back to 1888, when it was built by the Humane Society of Massachusetts (HSM), originally at the Westport Harbor entrance on the west end of Horseneck Beach. The station was a 16′ x 34′ simple shingled post and beam structure with a pitched roof, designed to house a 30′ lifeboat named “Westport”  and associated equipment. In 1894 is was moved to its present location at the end of East Beach near the causeway to Gooseberry Neck.

This important part of Westport’s maritime history has been restored and preserved by the Westport Fishermen’s Association through a long term lease with the Mass. Department of Conservation and Recreation, along with incredible support from our local community.  We invite you to visit and learn more .

Check out Story of HPLSS Dec 2010 for a more detailed history of the Station.