The Westport Fishermen’s Association offers merit scholarships to students for up to four years of undergraduate college education. Each year the WFA will award up to two $650 scholarships to graduating high school students and up to three $500 scholarships for college students entering sophomore, junior or senior year. Applicants will be eligible to receive a WFA scholarship for a maximum of eight semesters or four years. The maximum amount that may be awarded to a student over four years is $2150. Students must apply each year they are eligible, and need not have received a scholarship in the prior year to be considered.
Graduating High School Seniors:
Our Annual Merit Scholarship application deadline is April 30th.
The scholarship shall be designated a “Merit” scholarship. Academic and citizenship criteria will be used, not financial need. Graduating high school seniors who are Westport residents or who are sponsored by a WFA member are eligible to apply.
The WFA merit scholarship award will be announced in June. The scholarship check will be disbursed to the selected recipient(s) upon completion of the first semester in college. The student must submit a first semester transcript with satisfactory grades to the WFA Project Coordinator.
Instructions for graduating high school students:
The application (available for download below or by contacting the WFA or your guidance counselor) must be completed, signed by the applicant and
returned to the WFA by April 30th.
The completed application must include the following:
- Completed, signed personal information sheet
- Three character references from individuals who hold responsible community positions. It is strongly recommended that these include references from individuals familiar with your volunteer service. Relatives and friends are not appropriate references.
- Transcript of all courses completed.
- A current photograph suitable for publication.
- An essay written to address this requirement: The WFA’s purpose is “to preserve and protect the Westport River’s natural environment.” Please write an essay describing your educational objectives and how your past and anticipated future activities may serve the interests of environmental preservation and protection.
Continuing Education Scholarship
our continuing education scholarship application DEADLINE is July 31st.
- Open to incoming College Sophomores, Juniors, & Seniors
- Must be a Westport resident or be sponsored by a WFA member.
- Must maintain a full time course load with a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at at least a 3.0 and submit an official transcript.
- Must submit an essay stating progress towards academic goals and future aspirations, preferably focused on the environment.
The WFA Continuing Scholarship awards will be announced in August and checks will be disbursed at that time.